Monday, November 02, 2009

Haiti Day 3: Limbe

23 miles and a 1 hour and 45 minute drive to get to where we were going today. To say the road was less than perfect is an understatement. We saw a little over 300 patients today, in a very small building, little light, a generator that had a mind of its own, and people everywhere. We saw patients, played with the children, and did the "chicken dance".

I brought with me a small water filtration system that is amazing. Using a 5 gallon bucket, I hand drill a hole in to the side, attach a pipe connector, attach a small filter and let the dirty water (and I mean dirty: drain wter with dirt from the ground mixed in) drain through the filter by gravity. (I'll post pictures when I get back). The water came out crystal clear, and with a crowd around me, I drank it. Quite the experience. With a $45 filter kit, we now have pure drinking water for a village.

We had a local doctor meet us there today as well, and he saw patients with us. I'm hoping that he will continue to care for the children when we are gone. I'll be taking 3 Haitian pediatric residents with us tomorrow from the pediatric hospital.

We saw the usual types of patients. A lot of rashes, stomach aches, abscesses, generalized malaise, and parasitic disease. One of our doctor's saw an 80 year old woman (after all the MoM children are seen, we see adults) who had had a stroke a year ago, and had one side of her body paralyzed as a result. One side of her face was also paralyzed. When asked what we could do for her, she said "can you help me smile again." No much more I can say to that.

Haiti is a torn country, devasted by war, revolts, corruption and poverty. It is said that "your lucky to be alive in Haiti." The poorest country in the western hemisphere. But the smiles on the children that we saw today, as they danced and played with the team seemed to make up for that. The smile of a child is richer than all of the gold in world. We smiled all the back to the hotel tonight and I'll fall asleep with a smile on my face knowing that we made this day, one that they may never forget.

In all things give thanks,
David