Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Haiti Day 5: The Slums

Another 228 children seen today. Another image of poverty that took our breath away. The clinic itself was not that unusual. The road was bad enough that we had to park the bus several blocks away and walk, due to the ruts, the water and the poor condition. The 2 security police that were with us, called for back up support due to the area that we were in. Once you see the pictures you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about. That aside, what we saw should never be. No one should have to live in the filth that we saw. No child should have to play in the garbage. But then again, who are we to judge. When I look back at the week, I saw some definite changes in the team. We realized how fortunate and yet vulnerable we are. We realized that life passes us too fast and if we don't slow down, we'll run out of time to experience all that is given to us. We believe we made a difference...for others, but also for ourselves. We're different becasue of what we did and who we've become. The hard taskmaster is to stay that way and not go back to who we were. As for where we go next, we'll see. For now I'm thiniking of today and wondering if I could ever live in a place like that. I'm not really sure. But then again, the children that we saw, had smiles on their faces, as they played barefoot in piles of garbage. Maybe they know something about life that I don't know. I'd sure like to find out. I'll let you know when it do.

In all things give thanks,
David