Friday, May 04, 2012

Ethiopia: Healthcare worker assessment

Joyce is a Medical Mercy HCW in a small village about 70 kilometers south of Malindi which is on the eastern coast of Kenya. The village is in the bush and is isolated, remote, and as far from anything one would consider civilization as one can imagine. We have about 150 MoM children there and they all are being cared for by Joyce. She set up her "clinic" with medications and a little table. You see her record books in front of her and copies of the certificates I gave her for completion of the different levels of HCW training she went through. He fanny pack is her "doctor's bag" with her stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and all the tools she needs to do a comprehensive physical examination. Her scrubs identify her as a HCW. She is one of 16 healthcare workers that we've trained in Kenya. They'll be joining the US team in 2 days as we do 5 days of clinics. I'll be giving them additional lectures, moving them into more advanced assessment techniques, and they will be seeing patients with us gaining advanced physical diagnosis skills. Remember the theme I shared from Ethiopia: fruits of our labour, plant the seed, teach them to fish..sustainability. Healthcare for the MoM children.

In ll things give thanks,
David
(Note: we will be in a region that has no internet service and the data service on my phone will be marginal, so I don't know if I will be able to get blogs up and posted. I promise to do the best that I can. Be with us in prayer as we bring His word to those who seek it.)