Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 3 Lokori, Kenya

300 lbs overweight and something had to stay back. Weighing all the medicne and the passengers for the MAF flight put us over the 1073 kg limit for the Cessna Caravan that we were going to use to get to Lokori. We went over the almost 2500 lbs. That's a lot of medicine and a moderate amount of people. Nicholas (he and Hapi are the country liasons for Kenya) is there with me as we sort out what is going to stay and what is going. We took 2 empty seats out of the plane and that gave us another 50lbs. We loaded up and made the 1:30 minute flight to Lokori through a little weather. Pastor Park, who is a Korean missionary, was waiting for us when we got there. We unloaded, claimed our individual tents which would be our place of refuge for the next 4 days, and off we went to our first clinic. 150 children later and a sick 3 month old we were done.

Let me tell you about Lokori. It is a very small village south of Lake Turkana, isolated and very remote. It serves as the base for Pastor Park and his wife who run a ministry to MoM children in 6 villages that extend out in a 32 kilometer circle around Lokori. We are to go to most of them over the next 4 days. There is nothing in Lokori. Nothing. A dirt strip is used for MAF to land, the nearest town, civilized town, is about a 10 hour drive, there is no electricity, water, nothing. And we are there. It is in an area that is potentially dangerous with bandits around, who prey on those who are vulnerable, and for that reason we had 2 armed guards with us the whole time we were in the region.

A 3 month old little girl, Emma, was brought to us
by her mother. The mother had no breast milk, the baby weighed less than 5 pounds. She was minimally reaponsive, extremely dehydrated and grunting with respiratory difficulty. I cut some IV tubing and place it down her nose as an NG tube and we gave her ORS down it as she could not suck. We took her to a local clinic where we did an old fashioned blood smear looking for malaria. There were none. The nurse James who ran the clinic found some old IV catheters and I placed one in her hand and we found some IV antibiotics which we gave her. The baby is staying the night there to get more NG feedings. We'll see how she is doing tomorrow. All in all, a very difficult day.
In all things give thanks,